Thursday, May 16, 2013

Like an Exhale, Not a Dude

Over the past thirty-five years I have lived a lot of lives in a lot of places. I love all of the twists and turns that always deposit me exactly where I am. Change is nothing to fear. It is an invitation. Sometimes I turn down the invite because the party just isn't my scene. Sometimes the invitation isn't to a party, and you either show up or everything falls apart. A lot of the time, change is neither. It is more of an embrace, welcoming you into whatever comes next. Over time I have realized it is always best to go with my gut when it comes to change. It always feels like a risk, but never as big of a risk as remaining stagnant. Besides, it isn't like I ever really fail, at least not permanently. Life is self-correcting, and I am usually well attuned to when it is time to move on.

My life has changed in some pretty major ways over the past couple of years, mostly for the better. My writing has changed a lot in that time, too. When I made the decision to stop writing at The New Face of Poverty it felt like the decision to move across the country into a new home, in a new climate, with a new way of life. It is always a big decision to make such a drastic move, and part of the process is deciding what to take along and what to leave behind. After some careful consideration, I decided to leave everything right where it was, as both an offering and a parting gift. Just because it doesn't belong in my new life doesn't mean it is worn out or broken, and if it suits someone else, they should be able to access it.

If you followed me from there to here, all of the old content will remain on that site, but from here on out my new writing will land on this page. If you didn't follow me from anywhere, welcome. Nice to meet you, my name is Mani. You pronounce it Mah-nee, not Manny. Think of how you exhale when doing yoga, not of a big hairy guy. You get a few freebies, but after that it will cost you an iced vanilla latte, or a day of hearing me call you Jane when your name is actually Jen. Your choice.

I have a lot of things in the works that I'm really excited about, and if they happen to be the type of things that appeal to you, I always welcome conversation. I want to know who you are and what your changing life looks like right now. Our stories matter, just like our lives. Tell me about being alive, whatever that means to you.

Today I am living a short walk and many fence posts through my neighborhood, my oldest daughter graduating from high school this evening, missing my fiancee, and crazy good love. I am living in the here and now of writing a novel and knowing I should get up and do the dishes. I am living the day I was given, and it is all good.





4 comments: