Tuesday, June 4, 2013

These Two Paper Hearts

It is 5:30 p.m. The last kid just left the house, until a different one comes back at some point tonight. My kitchen is disgusting. Every single dish I own is dirty. I need to take the trash out.

I have done two article re-write assignments today,  written two original articles for a client, and am in the middle of the third. Before I can go to bed, there will be a fourth, due before midnight.

There were five phone calls I was supposed to make today, but didn't, and now it's after business hours, so they will hop from today's to do list onto tomorrow's.

I spent the day wishing I was on the other side of the country with my fiancee, who was not having the easiest of days today. Only now she's probably getting ready for bed, and maybe sleep will be easy. And I am here, with articles that need to be written and a kitchen that needs to be cleaned, and a list that grows, no matter how much I cross off.

But in the midst of all of this, I sat down with my sixteen-year-old daughter on the living room floor and we made paper hearts. Her heart says Float, and mine says Try Again, and now they both hang from a ribbon on the wall beside my desk, in between a lotus and a ship anchor, and all that is left to do is try. And try. And try. Just one foot in front of the other, one step at a time, getting up off my ass when I get knocked down. One word, one dish, one heart at a time.

"Be careful," the instructions warned, "sewing paper requires a delicate touch."

But really, it doesn't. Our paper hearts are not so fragile as they seem. You can prick them again and again, weaving thread in and out of the holes, and pretty soon you can't see the holes at all, and everything is held together, tied up and knotted off. I believe that they deserve a delicate touch, but even when they don't receive it, they usually survive the process, and dare I say it, even come out more beautiful in a rustic, shabby chic sort of way.

I'm convinced that the secret is glitter. Everything is more lovely when it catches the light and throws it back out. 






No comments:

Post a Comment