Monday, August 5, 2013

Prayers to an Understanding Woman


 Just this...

Thank you
for her
beautiful
heart
and her
spacious soul

Thank you
for the
knowing
that
transcends
time and space

Thank you
for
the islands
of
freckles
in her green
eyes
where I
am
seen
and
sheltered

Thank you
for the
way her
laugh
fits inside
of mine
with the same
symmetry
as our
entwined
legs
and
interlocking
fingers

Thank you
for this
coexisting
passion
and peace
with
a side
of clarity
and
depth

Thank you
for
the way
she loves
her
children
and
mine
and me

Thank you
for this
Love
that brings
holiness
out
of hiding

Thank you
for
the hollow
bones
of longing
now
filled
with
contentment

Thank you
for
entrusting
me
entrusting
us
to be
us
together

Thank you
for
knowing
I
would rise
to
the occasion
when
I
had sworn
off
love forever

Trust me
to
never
take her
for granted
to
remember
thirty
years from
now
just
how damn
lucky
I am
to have her
and
I will

Take me
home
to her

Take me
home
to her

and
I'll
take care
of
the rest

Promise




3 comments:

  1. Gorgeous piece. May this prayer be answered with a resounding "yes!!!"
    Amen and amen.

    ReplyDelete
  2. And now, because right now I'm wide open like that, I am crying.

    ReplyDelete